Monday, May 30, 2011

About Me

Being in a shelter is not where I had meant to be. Most people talk about being in charge of one's life. I thought that I was in charge of my life. I pay my bills, I follow the rules, and I volunteer my time in my community. Yet, here I am in the shelter; this is not where I am meant to be.

My mother taught me what was right and wrong and to follow the golden rule. I did those things change for me? How am I here?

Why am I invisible? Why do people shy away from me on the street? Why do people sneer? This is not how I treat people, so why are they mean to me?

My voice is ignored in the justice system, ignored in my community, ignored in my family. My talents are squeezed away from me; I hate who I am and where I am. Yet, I go on. My plans have changed. My most important plan is to be a role model for future generations, but I can't when I am here. It is not where I am meant to be.

Author: Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment